The August 2020 Reston Museum Cardboard Challenge 

Join the Reston Historic Trust & Museum's 2020 Cardboard Challenge, sponsored by The Kensington Reston! Throughout the month of August create your favorite Reston place, landmark, or boat for your favorite Reston lake out of cardboard and duck tape and share your creation with us! 

Participants should email images or a video of their cardboard creation to info@restonmuseum.org or tag @restonmuseum on twitter, facebook, or instagram.

Register below for a chance to have your creation exhibited inside the Reston Museum during October 2020 and a chance to receive a one-of-a-kind trophy from NovaLabs. Registration is not required to participate in the challenge but only those who register will be considered for the exhibit and award. Suggested donation is $25. Those selected will be notified in September 2020. 

View the guidelines

The first place in each category will be chosen for the exhibit 

1. Building (Need inspiration? Check out our digital Reston History Map)

2. Art (Need inspiration? Check out Public Art Reston's gallery)

3. Nature 

4. Most Reston

5. Boat for your favorite lake

 
 

Guidelines

1. 80% of the structure must be built of cardboard, the remaining 20% should be recyclable materials. Cardboard carpet tubes or similar tubes may be used. All cardboard must be recyclable.

 

2. To be considered for the October Museum exhibit, creation cannot be more than 30 inches wide or 7 feet high so that it will be able to fit through the museum's front door. 

 

3. Cardboard may be as thick as you want and may be layered together.

 

4. Duct tape, masking tape, strapping paper tape, wood glue, or contact cement may be used. Metal or plastic staples, clamps, nails, screws, etc., may NOT be used.

 

5. May be painted.

 

6. The use of Paper Mache is allowed.

 

7. A minimal use of battery-operated electrical tools can be used.

 

8. Construction violations discovered during any part of the day shall be cause for elimination. 

Looking for inspiration? Check out our digital Reston History Map and Public Art Reston's gallery.

Our Sponsors

KSLReston_280+871.png

Reston Historic Trust & Museum

Lake Anne Plaza

1639 Washington Plaza

Reston, VA  20190

703-709-7700

info@restonmuseum.org 

FOLLOW US:

  • Instagram Social Icon
  • Facebook App Icon
  • YouTube App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon

© 2020 Reston Historic Trust & Museum

Proudly created with Wix.com